“Women are forces of this earth,” reads the manifesto for Rihanna’s Fenty fashion label, which launched with LVMH in May. “We are multifaceted, complex, vulnerable yet bulletproof, and Fenty speaks to all of our intricacies.”
Fenty is the first luxury fashion house LVMH has built from the ground up – and its current pop-up at Selfridges’ London store its first foray into the UK, since its collections are available predominantly online. Its third collection, R9-19, is entitled Take Up Space, and juxtaposes form-fitting, tailored elements – including inbuilt corsets on blazer jackets – with exaggerated silhouettes. It’s a modern take on power dressing – and these five pieces add up to a strong look.
1. Corset shirt in poplin with a fitted silhouette and oversized sleeves, £430.
2. Skinny pants in jet-black stretch Japanese denim with zip-up ankle slits, £460.
3. Pinstripe double-breasted wool-blend blazer jacket with integrated corset, £840.
4. Pointed-toe power point pumps 105 in patent leather with 105mm curved heel, £530.
5. Oversized padded jacket in military green with orange lining, £1,080.