1. Don’t rush, unless you must. It is always better to travel than to arrive, and Creed perfumes will enhance your journeys, make them more confident, enlarge their impact. That is the end-point of choice, so the choosing is important. Take your time. You may end up with a particular bottle of Creed as your favourite fragrance, but there are grand discoveries to be made in all of them.
2. Experiment. Shop when the mood takes you, not just when your schedule allows. If you are in a hurry, use a tester bottle and leave the shop with the scent. See how it makes you feel in the next few hours, not just minutes. Time will tell you what Creed scents you want most as constant companions.
3. A tester card allows you to get acquainted with each perfume. It is enough to introduce the fragrance to you, and let you have initial impressions.
4. On your skin comes next. That is when a perfume comes truly alive. Buy it then and there if you need to, but for the best results you should at least try to do some other shopping before you commit. It can take hours for a high-quality fragrance to reveal its full glory.
5. The usual mistake is to try more than one scent at a time. You will then have only seconds to receive an impression before it mingles with quite different fragrances. As you do, the notes will work on your olfactory receptors and you will form a firmer and more reliable opinion.
6. Banish prejudice. You may not think a certain scent will suit you because of its name, or an ingredient you have hitherto not liked. Leave your biases at the door. Clients are often surprised by how readily they love a smell they would never have tried.
7. Shop alone. Don’t take your mother or lover with you. In a small but important way, you are creating personality for yourself, and controlling a part of your destiny. All Creed perfumes are excellent, so for you it’s about the feeling you get from wearing each one. When you find the perfect scent, you will know. It will cloak you perfectly, and like a bespoke suit or jacket it will “fit”. In all other respects, you ask the world to trust your judgment, professionally and personally. That also works for perfume and cologne.
8. Still undecided? Determine in your own mind what you are buying the fragrance for, if you find choosing hard. Is it for work? A date? A wedding? We can all be indecisive in certain areas, and sometimes that utilitarian sort of consideration can assist.
9. A second opinion? If you must get someone else’s view, then visit a specialist independent store. The staff’s advice will be impartial, not coloured by any suppositions about what you “should” wear. Les Senteurs in Belgravia is excellent. So is the Creed Boutique in Mayfair.
10. Instinct is paramount, in the end. Wearing scents is about emotion and feeling. Don’t overthink a fragrance or consider its likely impact. Trust your instincts. We were given reliable noses for a reason, to alert us to delight and danger. Your own opinion will be the best one. We look forward, as you brush past us on the street one day, to saluting your choice!